Life gets so busy — homework, practices, performances, games, friends, appointments, obligations — that sometimes it’s easy to forgot things, right? To take our everyday blessings for granted, too…like our moms (and other special women) who take care of us tirelessly day in and day out. Thank goodness for holidays such as Mother’s Day, which help us stop and focus for a moment to show our appreciation!
We encourage all of our BYOU girls to think about ways you can show your love, appreciation, and support for your mom — both for this Mother’s Day and every day. Below are some quick and easy ideas to put a smile on your mom’s face. Some of these may not be something you do all the time, but surprising your mom with an occasional unexpected gesture can go a long way!
Girl Tips to Show Your Mom You Care
- Never leave your mom without saying “goodbye” and “I love you!”
- After a day at school, greet her with eye contact, a smile, and a hug.
- Ask your mom how her day was.
- Talk to her. Share your ideas, dreams, hurts, and concerns. Even share a secret!
- Ask her opinion on something — anything.
- Look around the house to see how you can help: Do your shoes need to be put in the closet? The trash taken out? The dishwasher unloaded? To a mom, every little bit you do helps.
- Make her breakfast (lunch, dinner, snack) once in a while.
- Rub her shoulders, brush her hair, or show some type of nurturing gesture — moms appreciate attention, too!
- Leave a sweet note or picture for her somewhere and when she won’t expect it.
- Ask her at least once a day, “How can I help?”
- Occasionally, no matter how grown up you feel, call her Mommy, Mama, Nana, or whatever that cute name was you used when you were little.
- Hold your mom’s hand once in a while…even in public!
- Be silly with her and help her to laugh — a lot.
- Insist on cuddle time with her.
- Have your mom tuck you in at night and allow both of you to feel like you’re her little girl again
Don’t miss our special after-Mother’s Day MOMMY & ME TEA: A Mother/Daughter Self-Esteem Experience Sunday, May 20, 1:30-4:30 at the historic Brown Palace Hotel in downtown Denver. CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFO and to reserve your seat!